Your weekly serving of local foodie news!
- Mason Dixon Bakery is expanding to be Mason Dixon Bakery and Bistro! Check out this video where they give a tour of the space and share their vision.
- I’m a heathen Yankee who grew up with sweet cornbread. When I moved to Alabama, I was mystified to learn that it wasn’t “supposed” to be that way, so I found this article from Serious Eats fascinating. Turns out? It’s supposed to be sweet, you just aren’t supposed to have to add sugar to get it that way.
- The It’s Just Salsa launch party is tomorrow at The Artery, from 11-1pm! Don’t forget that this is where to collect your free jar of salsa if you signed up last month.
- If you are looking for new spots to try, my latest Now Open post is up at Our Valley Events!
- Dinner by Design has launched their Game Day menu, so if you are wanting to have people over for the game without cooking? You’re welcome. ; )
- Did you know that King’s Olive Oil opened a store in Madison this summer? Foodies delight! Not only are they up and running, but C.C. Fridlin, whom I mentioned last week, is offering a cooking class there on September 13th!
- You have until September 9th to go vote for the best ribs in North Alabama. There is quite a line up, including New Market BBQ, Chuck Wagon, Granville’s, Big Bob Gibson, Lawlers, New Orleans Lunch Box, Thomas Pit Bar-B-Q, and many more.
- Last week I had the privilege of meeting Roberta Adams, the owner of La Forcola. She makes homemade pasta and pesto sauces (you can purchase the pasta from her at local farmer’s markets) and teaches Italian cooking classes. She was wonderfully bubbly and sweet enough to gift me some of her pasta and pesto to sample. Now I should preface this with the fact that I’ve been kind of over pasta lately. Boxed pasta with marinara sauce is one of our staple dinners and I’ve been actively boycotting it because I’m bored to tears. But this pasta! Oh my word. It was delicious even without a sauce. It had body and flavor! And the pesto was perfect–fresh, thick and garlicky. Between La Forcola and Piper and Leaf, the Greene St Farmer’s market is getting to be like Christmas every Thursday. Check out the Green St, NASA, Madison, and Athens farmer’s markets to try her pasta for yourself.
- Speaking of Piper and Leaf, they have a few of their kid sized jars left if your littles need one…
- The next dinner in Marketplace Cafe’s Celebration Series is a celebration of peaches. Mini baked bries sound adorable!
If you have foodie happenings you would like shared, drop me a line using the contact tab above.