Huntsville Restaurant Week is in full swing! As I mentioned earlier, I am part of this year’s Rocket City Food Bloggers Tour! So this weekend, myself and five other fabulous food bloggers stopped in at three of the restaurants participating in Restaurant Week. The Convention and Visitor’s Bureau graciously covered not only our lunches, but gave away a seat to each of our readers. We had a wonderful time trying fantastic food, swapping foodie finds, and laughing at the sheer number of cameras pointed straight at plates. ; ) This week I’ll be sharing the highlights of the specials I sampled at each spot.
You have until Sunday, August 24th, to nab the same deals for yourself! And don’t forget to enter the daily giveaway by answering the question of the day on social media, using the tag #dinehsv. Each day there is a $20 gift certificate up for grabs. Today all you have to do is share your Restaurant Week plans. How easy is that? Watch the CVB facebook page for the daily questions!
I selected the $15 lunch special with the gazpacho, the “perfect pair” and a slice of carrot cake. In addition, we shared a couple of orders of housemade chips with salsa. If you are looking for a place to grab lunch with a friend this week and neither of you are big eaters, you could easily order this one special and share it. The crepes were the largest I’d ever seen, venturing into “burrito” size territory.
The entire meal was fresh, light, and well balanced. A couple of things really stood out for me:
- The housemade chips were a combination of rice, black beans, and zucchini and had the airiness of rice cakes but none of the blandness. The salsa served with them was excellent, thin and almost foamy but bursting with freshness.
- The chicken salad crepe featured warm shredded chicken and celery in a mayo based dressing, wrapped in a stretchy crepe. I’m used to chicken salad being served cold, so I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the salad served warm. The shredded chicken was what really sold it though–no canned stuff here.
Thoughts from Around the Table:
- AKA Jane Random declares the carrot cake dangerous.
- Foodie Army Wife is dreaming of crepes.
- Southern Plate was impressed with the affordability.
- The Jealous Crumpet soaked up the leisurely pace and the over-sized post lunch coffee.