Your weekly serving of local foodie news!
- Reader Chris wrote in this week to report that “Taqueria El Cazador truck #3 [has been] parked by the old Mapco Mart at Old Railroad Bed Rd. and Hwy 72 for the past week or so. I stopped there today and it looks like a fairly permanent spot with a small gravel area around it and a picnic table.” Thanks for the tip Chris!
- Tomorrow is the Food Policy Council’s planning session at the Chuch of the Nativity in Downtown Huntsville. This is a chance to get involved with our local food community and help advise on policies to foster locally sustainable food for all. (I’ll be there, so if you come out, say hi!)
- While out at lunch the other day, I spotted a sign for Crumb Droppers. That gives us three restaurant delivery services in the area (the others being GrubSouth and WesBees). Have you used any of them?
- D&L Bistro (12 years) and Sandwich Farm (2 years) both celebrated anniversaries this week! I love seeing our local spots thrive. : )
- In a fascinating collision of social media and hunger relief, Virgin Mobile has created the #mealforameal initiative. For every food picture uploaded with the #mealforameal hashtag, they will donate a meal to a hungry person in Australia. So if you, like me, enjoy sharing pictures of your meals, add the hashtag and make a difference at the same time!
- Next Thursday, Rocket Hatch is putting on a Sip and Hatch event with a food focus! Come hear stories from Caitlin Lyons (Pizzelle’s Confections), Nicole Castle (Food Systems Consultant and Photographer), Tasia Malakasis (Belle Chevre), and Karen Wynne (Rosita’s Farm) and network with other foodies and food entrepreneurs! (I’ll be there as well. : )
- Speaking of Belle Chevre, I had the good fortune to try their Southern Belle this week. Goat cheese coated in bourbon and pecans…it was absolute perfection on some soft french bread. We added tomato slices as well (see the photo above), but I actually preferred it without.
- My latest recommendation at Valley Planet is for Papa Gyros. (I know, couldn’t believe I hadn’t written it up yet either.)
- The Convention and Visitor’s Bureau has announced the first Restaurant Week event! August 14th, An Evening with the Chefs, hosted by Christy Jordan! All proceeds benefit Deep Roots, so get your tickets now!
- Cast your vote for Alabama’s Best Steak! Let’s get one of our local spots in the running. : )
- Piper and Leaf has launched a new blog, The Piping Piper. Head over to learn about their ingredients, meet their staff, and discover other local shops.
If you have foodie happenings you would like shared, drop me a line using the contact tab above.